Thursday, October 7, 2010

Was this review helpful?



This picture reminds me of something that I discovered the other night. I logged in to my weRead account on Facebook and decided to look back at some of my reviews of books I've read. In addition to my poor grammar, I noticed that weRead now has the little thumbs up or thumbs down option about the “helpfulness” of a review.

3 or 4 of my reviews are reviewed as “unhelpful” and 2 are reviewed as “helpful.” 

I started thinking. Not about the irony of a review of my review per se (which is bizarrely metacritical and, in a lot of ways, alters the true essence of an honest review), but more about my reaction to them. Why am I that bothered and curious about the identities of these people who don’t find my reviews helpful?  Why do I want to know WHY they did or didn’t like my reviews of books. Am I too critical of books? Is my grammar, as mentioned, that despicable? But this isn’t about them liking or disliking my reviews, it’s about them finding my reviews “helpful,” right? So why or why not are the reviews helpful? Is it because the user doesn’t agree with MY review? Does my review give no insight to the characters/plot/writing/font used in the reviewed book? IT’S MY REVIEW! I don't need a review of my review! I didn’t ask you if you liked it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment