Monday, October 4, 2010

Library Blogs

I have to admit that before this assignment I have NEVER looked at a library blog. I'm a member of 4 public library systems and I frequent my school's library website at least 3 times a week, but I've never seen a blog advertised on the sites. Perhaps I never truly looked, but it turns out that 3 of the 4 public library systems I'm a member of have blogs (or in the case of NYPL, multiple blogs). Of these blogs, the one that stood out the most (not in a good way) is the Montgomery County Public Library Blog from my library system I grew up with in Maryland. There is a lot of text, seemingly random, and written in the first person by, presumably, a librarian. Why should I care what this librarian thinks?

None are as interesting as the Georgia State University blog we had to review for this week's reading. First of all, the other blogs are not updated as frequently as this one. The last post on the GSU blog was on Friday, October 1 (not 1 or 2 weeks ago). The post discussed the buzzworthy movie called The Social Network that was released that day. The post was short and included links to read more about the movie and Facebook. This is relevant and compelling. The posts are all succinct, well-thought out, and updated EVERY weekday. The scope of this blog reaches beyond GSU's library to current events with a librarian's flair. This is a fine example of what a library blog should be in today's environment.

2 comments: