Sunday, October 31, 2010

Twitter

I've used Twitter more consistently in the last two weeks than I have in the last two years that I've had a Twitter account. I've used it off and on without understanding a lot of the features because I had no reason to learn. Twitter is confusing in the way it is set up. I still have trouble knowing who said what to whom and when. I also get thrown off by the "home" page and the "profile" page. However, I've enjoyed using it to share and gather information for this class. This was the most useful time I had with Twitter because I was actually communicating with people for a purpose. I felt a personal connection . . .and it was just fun. In fact, one of my non-gslis747 friends started reading our list and enjoyed it!

The most successful uses of Twitter seem to be for announcing events or sharing links to websites. I believe libraries can use this for those purposes. Also, if a librarian was very captivating, useful and humorous, perhaps a specific librarian at a library could make a presence on Twitter. It could sort of be like a "Dear Abby" librarian-style type of thing.

Our QC library might benefit from tweeting about new acquisitions, events, and other occurrences at our library. A student aide or circulation assistant could even tweet about the availability of study rooms during exam times, study hours, or printer/equipment statuses. This would be of use to students and save them time.

No comments:

Post a Comment