Sunday, November 7, 2010

Facebook "friends"?

Do I spend more time on Facebook posting about myself or checking up on my family and friends?

 On days when I'm feeling down or disconnected, do I check my Facebook account more or less? Do I immediately want to update my status with my lament? Or when I'm having an exceptionally terrific day, do I immediately want to post the good news? 

When someone "likes" my status or comments, should it really validate my thoughts and feelings? If no one "likes" my status or offers any comments, should I take it that my thoughts and feelings are not viable or important?

Why do I get friend requests from people I barely know or don't know at all? Why do old high school classmates who I NEVER talked to or, better yet, who were absolutely horrible to me, feel the need to add me as a friend? 

After a falling out with a real-life friend, why do I de-friend some on Facebook and not others? 

If I de-activated Facebook for GOOD (if, by some miracle, that was a possibility), would I still have any friends at all? Or would doing this be like using a colander on my social life, weeding out the liquid waste and leaving only the good stuff?


3 comments:

  1. Good questions. May I hear your thoughts on these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Professor. I will briefly attempt to answer (or at least explain my thoughts about) these questions.

    Do I spend more time on Facebook posting about myself or checking up on my family and friends?

    I believe I spend more time checking on my family and friends once I am on Facebook, but I spend more time thinking about what I might post when I am not online. If I think of a funny quote or if I think of something to ask my FB friend, then I might sign on to do so. However, once I am logged on, I can't help but check to see what is going on in their lives.


    On days when I'm feeling down or disconnected, do I check my Facebook account more or less? Do I immediately want to update my status with my lament? Or when I'm having an exceptionally terrific day, do I immediately want to post the good news?

    I find myself more inclined to post on FB when something bad happens or when something really good happens. Everyday things may seem a little boring.

    When someone "likes" my status or comments, should it really validate my thoughts and feelings? If no one "likes" my status or offers any comments, should I take it that my thoughts and feelings are not viable or important?

    There can be many, many factors contributing to someone "liking" or commenting on a status. It's important not take anything personally.

    Why do I get friend requests from people I barely know or don't know at all? Why do old high school classmates who I NEVER talked to or, better yet, who were absolutely horrible to me, feel the need to add me as a friend?

    This bugs me more than anything else. I believe that some people add friends to FB for superficial reasons such as to look as though they have a lot of friends and are important. If I don't like someone or know I have and probably will never ever talk to them, why would I add them on Facebook?


    After a falling out with a real-life friend, why do I de-friend some on Facebook and not others?

    Simply put, if I believe I may be friends with someone and if I still care about them, I will not de-friend them. If I can sense it is really over and I truly never want to see/speak with them again, I will de-friend them. If them knowing anything about my life bothers me, chances are I will defriend them.

    If I de-activated Facebook for GOOD (if, by some miracle, that was a possibility), would I still have any friends at all? Or would doing this be like using a colander on my social life, weeding out the liquid waste and leaving only the good stuff?

    I believe my good friends and family transcend Facebook or the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you gave these questions are thorough thought. Great!

    ReplyDelete